Friday, August 06, 2010

Kasserian Ingera - A Conservative School Adopts An African Motto As Its Own

I will report this tale from my vantage point - as a Black man walking into a diverse but majority White elementary school for orientation day just prior to the start of school.


Admittedly when I saw a group of White females wearing the image of an African tribe on their t-shirts I wonder to myself if they were some auxiliary organization or vendors who were having a fund raising event.

Then I ran into the principal, shook his hand and then ask "What are the t-shirts that you all are wearing"?

He informed me that this is the schools NEW MOTTO that was recently adopted.

I thought to myself:  "THIS?  In a Republican controlled county and school district?  I have got to get a picture of this as proof because no one else would believe me.".

Kasserian Ingera: The traditional greeting between the Masai warriors which means "and how are the children?"
I finally concluded that this statement is more than "African".  It is a quality statement that shows a high level of community consciousness.   

The people who were made aware of the statement and adopted it as their own realized that their goal in this school that is nestled inside of this conservative, Republican controlled county is just the same as the parents who belong to the Masai tribe who originate from the east coast of Africa.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I finally concluded that this statement is more than 'African'. It is a quality statement that shows a high level of community consciousness."

Consciousness knows no ethnicity, race or tribe. It is a lesson we are slow in learning.

It is a beautiful greeting, thanks for sharing it.

Olive