Saturday, November 20, 2010

"Bitch Shut The Fuck Up! I Told You I Was Sorry Already!!!"

There was no other line in the movie "For Colored Girls" that could serve as a more powerful "take away" of the sentiments from the film.
  • I heard the chatter that was created during the first few weeks of the film claiming that "it bashed Black men" - just like the original play
  • I got in trouble when I echoed this same sentiment to the neighbor, me never having seen the film.  She corrected me stating "this film was not about the Black men in the film it was about the Black women".
  • I heard several interviews and reviews on NPR and on television from the film's stars and movie critics.  Some praised the film some panned it.  
  • At the barbershop this morning with only a male barber and a female with a "natural" waiting in line right after me I repeated what I had heard on the radio: "They say that this film was about Tyler Perry's 'ghosts' appearing on the screen.  He was envious of how Lee Daniels did 'Precious' and he altered his own craft to follow suit.  The film version did not do justice to the play".
Since I was just carrying the water of what others had said - today I decided to view the film for myself.

I need to get this out of the way before I go any further - with this film Anika Noni Rose has displaced my "girl crush" that I had had on Kerry Washington.  

The character and the real person appears to have a more artistic spirit that I can connect with.  The character that she played was a dance instructor and she made references to certain Caribbean inspirations to her dance and her soul.   You got me hooked girl.

(I needed to get this out of the way because I realize that the movie was far more 'deed' than what my lustful eye could ever do justice to.  :-)   )


Hurt Women

The movie was all about women who had been hurt either prior to the time frame captured during the movie or as expressed during the movie.

It doesn't take experience from a war fought during membership in the US military to trigger certain abusive behavior as the film depicted.  (Note: the stage play is from the early 1970's and thus made reference to Vietnam.  Though the film never mentioned Iraq or Afghanistan by name the logical inference is there).  Today there are many men who have never put on a military uniform that execute behavior as such against their female partners.  Just as the soldier saw certain gory events that imprinted as such in his mind, so to have these abusive men who never left the nation to fight a battle.  There was enough of a battle in the home that they were raised in.

The sight of the rapist had me thinking about being arrested myself for having beaten the hell out of a man who would so such a thing.  My plea to the justice system that was running through my mind was "How is it that you find suit to indict me for assault - a man with no criminal record to speak of?  Why not consider the circumstance that would provoke a man like me to act violently in response to violence".  The actions of the rapist in the movie made a bright shining spirit in a woman turn into a shell shocked soldier in her own right.  A thorough beating is the least that the rapist should have gotten.

All of the "hurt" that these women faced were not sourced by the actions of males.  They did their fair share of intramural abuse, perpetuating their own hurt upon others who loved them.  Some of the women remained trapped in their pain.  Another noted how much she had changed, morphing into her present self that appeared to be nothing like the others.   She appeared to relate to them because she saw her old self.


"Bitch Shut The Fuck Up!!  I Told You I Was Sorry Already!!"

In a movie in which the reconciliation of "I am sorry" was bantered about by the "hurt ladies" the phrase listed above stole the show - at least for me.   There was no other apology that was more gratuitous or which was a better fit for the context within which it was stated.   The abusive "Baby Daddy" who wanted her to "stop sweating him" for his brutal behavior last night laid out the catch phrase that summarized the movie perfectly.

"I am sorry and if you don't let it go I am going to violently beat you down again. "
This is what that line says to me.   There is not a hint of contrition in the statement.

The movie was better than what the critics claim that it was.
It was very entertaining.  Some of the characters could have been developed a bit further but overall their interconnectedness in their struggle was the main purpose of the movie. 


2 comments:

BigmacInPittsburgh said...

I still think it was a waste of film.
This film will not truly address the issue of batter wives and girlfriends.
Again in my opinion it was another chance to demonize Black Men period.
The rationalizations I have heard as to why this movie was good for my community didn't resonate with me.

Thrasher said...

I have yet to see the film..I am looking forward to viewing it for the holidays