Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fathers Day Is Everyday For A Resident Father

The best thing I can think to do on Father's Day is to understand my role in the lives of my children and their mother - my wife.


The job of their mother and me is to do our best to keep them directed on a productive path which supports their development:
  • spiritually
  • academically
  • socially
  • financially
  • athletically
 The time spent by me around my children can bring me joy and pride but also can work my nerves.   When they bring home report cards that show their mastery of the subject (My daughter gets straight A's, my son requires someone to make him sit down and do his homework).  When they work their way through the various belts in Tae Kwon Do these events draw the family in to their "rites of passage".

When they are asked to clean up their room but are seen watching television instead of doing what they were told  - I find myself issuing the same verbal threats that I used to hear from my mother and father.  I now see how frustrating it is to see cups or popsicle sticks around the house where they don't belong.  Instead of yelling I set limits on their behavior.   It is best to tie their good behavior to something that they would like to do over the weekend if they had a good week.

There is no doubt that the academic attainment of their mother and me flows into the academic development of our children.

Yesterday as my son came from his music lesson and his sister went in he asked to use my computer in the car - as I was reading various newspapers and magazines.  Instead of allowing him to play is "Spiderman" or "Hot Wheels game" I thought about the situation that I reported on from a few years ago as I visited South Atlanta High School.   In an 11th grade computer class I was impressed that three males where expert in researching any sports statistic that I could throw up to them.  When I asked them "Tell me what Kobe Bryant's field goal percentage was for the prior year" - one quickly found it and then the other chimed in a few seconds later after his Internet search.

When I pointed to the Cisco Ethernet switch on the desk and asked them to do research to determine what it does - they had a bit more difficulty.  
The first one went to the Cisco home page and figured that this satisfied my request.  I pointed to the model number and asked him to search on that.  He pulled up the product page and figured that he had answered my question.  I said "No.  I asked you to tell me what it does.".   Then I assisted both of them in going to the proper page where the information was contained.   Then we went to a another site that talked about the function of an 'Ethernet switch'.

The point was that they should learn about the process of research and the tools that they have available to them.   If they have this skill then it matters not that the subject has change from sports to computer technology.   The process for research remains the same.

I decided to put my 9 year old son to the test instead of handing him over the computer.

"What do deer eat?", I asked.

"I don't know." He said.
"I want you to look it up on the computer and tell me".
He pulled up the deer page on Wikipedia and figured that he was done.  He told me he did not know where to look.
Then I thought to add more questions because he wanted to quickly get past the exercise and move on to his games.

No comments: