This blog is for "Strategic Analysis" from a cultural and institutional perspective.
The reason why I am posting the two comments from the "Two First Ladies" is to get at the real target of this post: "Subjectively OFFENDED Black People"
WASHINGTON, Sept. 6 - As President Bush battled criticism over the response to Hurricane Katrina, his mother declared it a success for evacuees who "were underprivileged anyway," saying on Monday that many of the poor people she had seen while touring a Houston relocation site were faring better than before the storm hit.
"What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas," Barbara Bush said in an interview on Monday with the radio program "Marketplace." "Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality."
"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway," she said, "so this is working very well for them."
Mrs. Bush toured the Astrodome complex with her husband, former President George Bush, as part of an administration campaign throughout the Gulf Coast region to counter criticism of the response to the storm. Former President Bush and former President Bill Clinton are helping raise money for the rebuilding effort.
White House officials did not respond on Tuesday to calls for comment on Mrs. Bush's remarks.
Please recall that when this statement was made by (Former) First Lady Barbara Bush in response to her observation that the Hurricane Katrina "evacuees" were in good hands in the emergency shelter, in fact better off than the poor, decrepit places they came from in greater New Orleans this set off a fire storm as various people called her "out of touch", aloof, insensitive.
This merely added to the bonfire of hatred and blame that many had assigned to her son - President George W Bush.
MY OPINION - Of course these were ill-conceived words, her tone misaligned from the situation at hand.
The firestorm over these words, however, ensured that the "Guilty Parties" who left these people vulnerable after decades of a "caretaker state" would never themselves be "Put On Trial" for the damage that they did.
|First Lady Michelle Obama - "There Is No Better Place To Talk About These Issues (Political Issues) Because Ultimately They Are Not Just Political Issues. They Are MORAL Issues".
Again - I wish to move past the words said by First Lady Michelle Obama and shift focus into the audience - The African American Methodist Episcopal church body that the First Lady was speaking to.
During my sociological inspection - I've noticed that there is a dramatic difference in behavior (and willingness to "talk" from the perspective of being "Put On Trial" to account for your actions) between:
- Those with Power and Authority and who know that they are going to be held accountable (Put On Trial)
- versus Those who have Power and Authority but who understand that their base is going to accept a grand "Establishment Power Repudiation" scheme that is orchestrated for their short term pleasure but at their long term expense
- Addressing the need for Christian comfort in the context of a "Spiritual Walk" as our people seek to find their true meaning in this cruel world
- Educating Black people via the founding of schools that focus upon our children
- Serving as "the Anchor Tenant" in so many cultural and community oriented activities within the community. The church building and/or the members of the church serving as the organizational scaffolding for this community outreach
- Providing medical services to underserved communities when the larger society did not care to address this need. (Note: I need to research the point to determine if the AME Church has ever opened a hospital but the Catholic Church surely has done so. Still the AME has sponsored many health fairs over the years to draw attention to various lifestyle ailments that our people suffer
- Financial coordination as community funds have been aggregated together to achieve a common goal
- GOVERNMENT - that collection of persons that are assigned authority, as vetted by the POLITICAL system in America that is presently dominated by two "Dung Producing Party Animals"
- GOVERNANCE - the act of applying a reasonable amount of care and management over the resources that have been imparted to a certain community of people, with the goal of maximizing prosperity, respecting rights all within the rule of law. (Yes that includes PROPERTY rights as well)
- NEVER allowing anyone to refer to them as "The Least Of These"
- Knowing their true self and making note of the NEEDS of the community that is full of other people who have come to this knowledge
- Modeling the entire set of needs of a health community
- Setting up and maintaining the system of CULTURE, EDUCATION, PHYSICAL/DIETARY HABITS and CONFLICT RESOLUTION Models that will allow them to express this desired end
The "Black Church" prides itself as the only institution in America that has never been controlled by outsiders.
WHEN WILL THE BLACK CHURCH NOTE THE PROBLEMS WITHIN OUR COMMUNITY, NOTE HOW MUCH THE PROMISE OF "SALVATION BY VOTING" HAS FAILED - AND REFUSE TO MAKE "JESUS A DEMOCRAT OR REPUBLICAN" BECAUSE THEY BELIEVE THAT HIS HOUSE IS SUPERIOR TO ANYTHING THAT CAN BE BUILT UPON THIS EARTH THROUGH POLITICS?